Co-working office space is rapidly rising in popularity as the demand for flexible office environments increases.
Who uses this type of workspace?
- Freelance designers
- Independent consultants
- Young start-up entrepreneurs
Why do people use co-working office space?
- Supports a creative and collaborative environment
- Professional and private office space
- Sharing a space can be convenient for startups who are not ready to invest in a larger office space yet
- Many people work from home, or travel a lot and need a physical space to touch down that isn’t a coffee shop
Where are they located?
- Downtown, urban areas
- Must be easily accessible for commuters
What are they like?
- Typically known as a refurbished factory or loft style with a rustic, casual, young feel to it, but that is not always the case
- Co-working office space offer a highly professional feel with elaborate office décor and upscale furniture.
- For example, Workplace One, located in Toronto and Kitchener
How is a co-working space designed?
- Must have character to appeal to multiple design styles
- Typically follows the latest office trends
- Usually has open desk areas with an assigned task chair
- Must have shared workspaces for team work
- Should also have a private room for confidential meetings
- Lockable filing cabinets are useful for those with a private desk
- Refreshment area is a must, this can range from a small kitchenette to an elaborate café
- Lounge area is critical for casual and informal business meetings
- Space must be technology friendly, make sure to incorporate lots of outlets and furniture designed for laptops and computers
- Reception areas are sometimes incorporated, depending on the size of the space
- Some spaces even offer gyms, changing areas or storage facilities
- For example, Platform 302 in Hamilton offers their members a rooftop patio and a theatre room! Platform 302 also offers the opportunity for skill development through shared learning in the form of workshops and book clubs
What is the cost of co-working office space?
- The cost of membership reflects the location, style of the office and the amenities
- Most have a drop-in rate, as well as a monthly rate, with a-la-carte business services offered as needed
- Coworking – Wikipedia
- Platform 302
- Workplace One
- Top 10 Shared Office Space
- Coworking Toronto – Find a Space