Breaking up with your office chair is hard to do. A Valentine’s Day Special.
We know it is hard breaking up with your office chair when it has been with you for so long, but the reality is at some point you must go your separate ways.
64% of men and women break up with their office chair before or after Valentine’s Day
Special Note: Thank you Stantec and Tandus Centiva for your help in making this memorable video: Featuring Andy Delisi, the most interesting A&D Rep in the World.
Do you remember when your office chair arrived at your workstation for the first time? You’d been waiting so long for its arrival. You invested a lot of time and money to find the right chair. You spent every free moment you had you spent browsing ‘profiles’ looking for ‘the’ perfect chair, for a chair that had all the features matching your personality and style. And then finally, you found it!
The morning came, and you were so excited to meet finally. The first time you sat in it, you knew it was a partnership that was meant to be. You spent the day adjusting the armrests, the backrest and the height to the point where you become one with the chair. You can’t even remember a time without it. Those days of sore backs are a long distant memory because you now had your very own ergonomic chair. Through good times and bad times, it has been with you; supporting you, for now, going on seven years.
The thought of breaking up with your chair is hard to take, but the reality is, you’ve grown apart. You just don’t fit together the same way.
How do you know when to break up with your chair?
- You used to love showing off all the new features, but now it is an embarrassment to sit in it.
- You’ve been spending time on the internet looking at chair profiles and yes, you have thoughts that there may be a better chair out there for you.
- It just isn’t being supportive of your needs anymore!
- It won’t lift you up when you are down “The hydraulics just aren’t functioning the way they used to.”
- It doesn’t have your back anymore “I thought ergonomic chairs would last forever!”
- When you need something to lean on, it just isn’t there! “Where is your arm(rest) when I need it!?”
- The rolling wheels were one of the coolest features, and now what you used to do together just isn’t possible “When I need some excitement to break up my day, you know, like rolling over to my colleagues workstation to have a chat, it just doesn’t want to go!”
If this sounds like the current relationship you have with your chair, we feel your pain, but sometimes you just have to let go. But there is a bright side to it all. Memories last forever, and maybe there is someone out there that is a better match for your old chair. Or maybe you you’ve had a long run together, and your chair deserves to retire to a happy place where it can be recycled.
Now you are free to move on. Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to start looking for a new match!